Feature Suggestion
s31064
2010-02-09 18:40:01 UTC
I've been using S&T since the mid '90s, and found it's pretty much blown away
the competition. Just a thought on something I'd like to see added, which I
think would be quite useful to any business user and probably most leisure
users as well.

Once you have a trip planned, it would be great to be able to click on the
final destination (or any point, really) and set the time of arrival. The
program should then calculate the time of departure for you. If I have a
meeting some place I've never been, this would make it easier to plan my
schedule.

An addition to that feature would be to be able to click on that destination
(or intermediary stop) and set how long you expect to be at the stop. This
would help when planning a trip to two customers, as an example. I need to
be at customer 1 by 10:00, so it automatically calculates when I have to
leave, and I know we have a two hour meeting window, so it automatically
calculates an ETA for customer 2. There's a one hour meeting there, so it
can calculate what time I'll be back at the office for a status meeting.

Advanced option to the above: A slider to set the time at a stop so you know
how long you can procrastinate before you'll be late for the next stop. This
would also be great for road trip vacations, so you know how long you have to
spend at an attraction before you miss the last ferry, checkin time at your
hotel, or whatever.

Think it'd work?
SteveBell
2010-02-09 23:54:12 UTC
Post by s31064
Once you have a trip planned, it would be great to be able to click
on the final destination (or any point, really) and set the time of
arrival. The program should then calculate the time of departure for
you. If I have a meeting some place I've never been, this would make
it easier to plan my schedule.
Right-click the destination in the Route Planner window, then choose
"Schedule Stop..." from the context menu. In the window that appears,
check "Arrive at" and fill in your arrival time.
Post by s31064
An addition to that feature would be to be able to click on that
destination (or intermediary stop) and set how long you expect to be
at the stop.
Repeat the above steps, but choose "Stop for" and fill in the length of
your stop.
Post by s31064
This would help when planning a trip to two customers,
as an example. I need to be at customer 1 by 10:00, so it
automatically calculates when I have to leave, and I know we have a
two hour meeting window, so it automatically calculates an ETA for
customer 2. There's a one hour meeting there, so it can calculate
what time I'll be back at the office for a status meeting.
Advanced option to the above: A slider to set the time at a stop so
you know how long you can procrastinate before you'll be late for the
next stop. This would also be great for road trip vacations, so you
know how long you have to spend at an attraction before you miss the
last ferry, checkin time at your hotel, or whatever.
There's also a "Depart at" option that would do *some* of what you want
here.

I have the 2007 version. Your mileage may vary.
--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement