Overlay of Satelite view
Al in Dallas
2010-06-08 04:51:36 UTC
Is there a way to take say a bing Sat image and overlay it on S&T?

Is there a version of S&T that has the Sat images?

In Dallas we have alley's and our patrol uses S&T to record where we've been
however it draws the trail over blank spaces but no way to know if we've
missed driving an alley.

Also we would like to Database the houses with their addresses. Click on a
house and get the HOA description.

Just curious if any of this is possible with S&T.
Richard Marsden
2010-06-08 14:47:15 UTC
Streets & Trips 2010 will let you view the current location in Bing
Maps. It is a bit limited though - eg. you can't plot a map from Streets
& Trips into Bing Maps. Why not just use Bing Maps? It has a hybrid
map that overlays the street map on the aerial imagery.

Richard
--
Richard Marsden
Winwaed Software Technology LLC
Keithto
2010-06-14 13:20:08 UTC
Hi Al -

Great Question on Streets and Trips! I love to hear about all the different
ways individuals, businesses and municipal/government agencies are using this
powerful tool.

I personally think this would be a fantastic addition to Streets and Trips -
the concept being you choose an option to grab a 'snapshot' from Bing Maps at
your current zoom level, and then have a slide bar that allows you to adjust
opacity so you can see your S&T data beneath - Similar to graphics arts
programs. Cool idea.

I'm curious, as a work around for now, could you take your own snapshot in
Bing and overlay it on your S&T data in one of those graphics arts programs?
Not elegant I know...and may not suit your needs if you need to continually
overlay....but if this is a relatively infrequent exercise (like setting up
patrols each month)....perhaps this would work?

With respect to Richard's question on why you don't just defect to 'Bing' -
I suspect the answer is because you need an 'offline' mobile mapping
capability that includes the historical data that you've collected on your
patrols - as well as the ability to add and store data by location on the fly
as developments warrant. Is that a fair representation?

Look forward to hearing from you.
--
Keithto (A.K.A. My Point...Exactly)