Routes NOT sent to GPS Device
Mr edbj
2010-03-12 06:06:02 UTC
When using the "Send to GPS Device" tool, only the LOCATIONS are updated.
The ROUTE is not sent to the GPS. I have a Garmin 765T, so I use the "Send
with USB" function of the MSN Direct website which appears when I actvate the
"Send to GPS Device" tool.

Has anyone successfully sent a route to an attached GPS device via USB?

Thanks,

Ed
d381e
2010-03-16 02:13:53 UTC
Post by Mr edbj
When using the "Send to GPS Device" tool, only the LOCATIONS are updated.
The ROUTE is not sent to the GPS. I have a Garmin 765T, so I use the "Send
with USB" function of the MSN Direct website which appears when I actvate the
"Send to GPS Device" tool.
Has anyone successfully sent a route to an attached GPS device via USB?
Thanks,
Ed
You've probably gotten the necessary data into the Garmin with the process above, but there's a step that's easy to miss. After transferring the route, go to the Garmin device's Tools menu. Choose "My Data," then "Import Route(s) from File." Look for your named route, and press to check the box. Click "Import." It'll go through a conversion process, and you'll then be able to see the route when you choose "Routes" in the Garmin menu.

David
rh27
2010-03-21 22:29:01 UTC
Post by d381e
Post by Mr edbj
[...]
.
I also have a Garmin 765T and have tried to download a route with 2 stops. I
import the route in the Garmin as you say but only the start and endpoints
show up and the Garmin calculates a new route. This is definitely not what I
want.

Bob
Richard Marsden
2010-03-22 17:02:03 UTC
Post by rh27
I also have a Garmin 765T and have tried to download a route with 2 stops. I
import the route in the Garmin as you say but only the start and endpoints
show up and the Garmin calculates a new route. This is definitely not what I
want.
Bob
I don't know the Garmin unit, but it probably does not allow the
turn-by-turn route to be set.
The Streets & Trips road database will be different to the Garmin one.

How can the Garmin program give directions if it was given a route with
different roads that it doesn't think exist, roads with different
classifications, etc?
--
Richard Marsden
Winwaed Software Technology LLC
The Geoweb Guru: http://www.geowebguru.com
rh27
2010-04-01 18:24:05 UTC
Post by Richard Marsden
Post by rh27
[...]
The Garmin 765T does allow turn-by-turn routes to be set. All roads in the
route that I entered in Streets and Trips are covered in the Garmin database.
Using the free program Tyre which is based on Google maps, I was easily able
to set up the route and download it to my Garmin. This program also works for
Tom-Tom GPS devices.

Bob