Free WiFi at many McDonald's restaurants
Paul Randall
2010-03-22 13:28:54 UTC
I have found that many McDonald's restaurants now have free WiFi, and a weak
but usable signal is available from their parking lots, even when they are
closed. The link to the list of states is
http://secure.wayport.net/mcd/locations?. You can click any state to get a
list of cities/addresses of the ones with free WiFi. They typically have
more than one WiFi provider; the WayPort network is the free one. I've set
up my WXP to prefer WayPort so it doesn't accidently choose the 'for fee'
networks (AT&T & QWest)

I have written a VBScript that creates CSV files for each state, with name
(store number), address, city, and Zip, which import well into S&T 2007.
I'd be willing to post the script if anyone is interested.

One small problem with it -- most versions of S&T have quirks that place
some addresses incorrectly and it takes years for new streets (addresses) to
be incorporated, so the newer McDs can't be placed on the map. Does anyone
have a URL that lists the GPS coordinates of all McD's? Using GPS
coordinates in the CSV file would properly locate all entries, whether or
not the S&T version has a map for the street.

-Paul Randall
Richard Marsden
2010-03-22 17:03:51 UTC
Post by Paul Randall
One small problem with it -- most versions of S&T have quirks that place
some addresses incorrectly and it takes years for new streets (addresses) to
be incorporated, so the newer McDs can't be placed on the map. Does anyone
have a URL that lists the GPS coordinates of all McD's? Using GPS
coordinates in the CSV file would properly locate all entries, whether or
not the S&T version has a map for the street.
-Paul Randall
Longitude,latitude coordinates would be more reliable. You could use
different online geolocating services to try and find the missing addresses.
--
Richard Marsden
Winwaed Software Technology LLC