Garmin nuvi 1350T and MS&T 2010
Francis Cunningham, Jr.
2010-02-27 20:10:01 UTC
I currently have the latest version of MS&T and would like to know if my
Garmin is compatible with the software. Does anyone have any insight. Went I
first tried to sync I received a message that the GPS device could not be
detected.
Thanks
Frank
Sven
2010-02-27 23:16:54 UTC
Probably not. It is extremely unusual for a Personal Navigation Device (PND)
like the Nuvi, to be compatible with any mapping software, other than than
that from the PND's company.

S&T only requires that the GPS device output NMEA based text strings that
give positional information, lat, long, etc. Most PNDs do not output that as
they use it internally to fix your position on the device. Even the PND's
own software on a PC doesn't look for position. It is typically designed to
transfer waypoints, routes, maybe update maps, not to be a bigger display.

For S&T you are looking for a GPS receiver with NMEA output features. Lots
of those around. e.g. http://www.buygpsnow.com/mouse-gps_11.aspx

You may find some handheld GPS units that can output the stuff S&T needs,
even from Garmin. My old eTrex was able to do that, though via a serial
connection. I don't know if the newer ones still support that.
Frank
Marvin Hlavac
2010-03-02 11:45:21 UTC
As Sven suggests, I'd go with a simple USB GPS receiver for a laptop. They
are inexpensive these days, and can be purchased for under $40.

If you still wish to explore if your Nuvi PND can be used as a GPS receiver
for programs like Streets & Trips, the following link will provide some more
reading on the topic:
http://www.laptopgpsworld.com/microsoft-streets-trips/2689-how-use-garmin-nuvi-gps-receiver-ms-streets-trips-via-gpsgate.html
--
Marvin Hlavac