S&T 2008 Errors
Gordon
2009-11-14 15:47:51 UTC
Is there any chance that S&T 2008 will be updated to correct the numerous
errors. I find so many errors, showing small towns and landmarks in the
wrong locations, rural roads laid out wrong, etc. The Road Number setup for
northwest Oklahoma is messed up because the map layout jogged the wrong way
at a survey correction line.

I've looked and hoped for something in the form of an on-line update but so
far nothing has been released. I submitted an error report several months
ago but have not seen anything that would suggest that the errors I reported
have been resolved and a corrective update made available.

Gordon
Marvin Hlavac
2009-11-14 18:15:10 UTC
Post by Gordon
Is there any chance that S&T 2008 will be updated to correct the numerous
errors. I find so many errors, showing small towns and landmarks in the
wrong locations, rural roads laid out wrong, etc. The Road Number setup
for northwest Oklahoma is messed up because the map layout jogged the
wrong way at a survey correction line.
I've looked and hoped for something in the form of an on-line update but
so far nothing has been released. I submitted an error report several
months ago but have not seen anything that would suggest that the errors I
reported have been resolved and a corrective update made available.
Hi Gordon,

Any such updates to map data would have to come from Navteq, the company
which licenses the doad mapdata to Microsoft for use with MS Streets &
Trips, MS MapPoint, MS AutoRoute, and Bing Maps.

Your Streets & Trips 2008 is now two versions old, so it is realistic to
expect that the maperrors you see have since been corrected. The current
version of the product is 2010.

Review: Microsoft Streets and Trips 2010
http://www.laptopgpsworld.com/microsoft-streets-trips/2380-review-microsoft-streets-trips.html
--
Marvin Hlavac
Laptop GPS World
www.laptopgpsworld.com
Roy Smith
2009-11-14 18:59:02 UTC
Post by Gordon
Is there any chance that S&T 2008 will be updated to correct the numerous
errors. I find so many errors, showing small towns and landmarks in the
wrong locations, rural roads laid out wrong, etc. The Road Number setup
for northwest Oklahoma is messed up because the map layout jogged the
wrong way at a survey correction line.
I've looked and hoped for something in the form of an on-line update but
so far nothing has been released. I submitted an error report several
months ago but have not seen anything that would suggest that the errors I
reported have been resolved and a corrective update made available.
You've heard the old saying, "garbage in, garbage out"? Well that's the
case in your situation. Microsoft doesn't create the map data that is used
in S&T, instead it's licensed from Navtec so they would be the one who is
responsible for updating and/or correcting it. I've used several versions
of S&T and to the best of my recollection, I don't remember ever seeing or
hearing about a patch or update for *_ANY_* version of S&T.
--
Roy Smith
Windows XP Pro SP3
A Troll
And Navtec git their s**t from me and I just don't care...
Paul Randall
2009-11-15 01:02:56 UTC
Post by Gordon
Is there any chance that S&T 2008 will be updated to correct the numerous
errors. I find so many errors, showing small towns and landmarks in the
wrong locations, rural roads laid out wrong, etc. The Road Number setup
for northwest Oklahoma is messed up because the map layout jogged the
wrong way at a survey correction line.
I've looked and hoped for something in the form of an on-line update but
so far nothing has been released. I submitted an error report several
months ago but have not seen anything that would suggest that the errors I
reported have been resolved and a corrective update made available.
Hi, Gordon

Marvin's link should get you to a free download of a 60-day trial of the
complete version of S&T 2010, so you can see for yourself whether your 2008
errors have been fixed. Stuff usually does eventually get fixed, and new
sillyness gets added.

My current favorite silly thing in S&T 2010 is to map a route from a pushpin
I create at 43.87072, -91.21037, which is actually a walkway, not the road
that S&T shows, to 1600 E Main St, Onalaska, WI. This takes you on a
non-existent road that (in someone's imagination) crosses divided highway WI
157 and around to get onto WI 157 northbound, then takes the exit to Main St
a few blocks north. The route then turns left (west) into the eastbound
lane of Main St for about a block, before switching to the westbound lane.

maps.google shows excellent details in this area, but has its own brand of
silliness in having the labels for various businesses shifted a few hundred
yards from where the business' buildings actually stand.

Mapping is not an easy business to keep up to date.

-Paul Randall