S&T 2010 crashes on address search
d381e
2009-10-15 02:01:38 UTC
Over the last couple of weeks, Microsoft Streets & Trips 2010 crashes every time I search for an address. After entering the address and searching, the address is found on the map. When I press OK, I get this error message:
"This application is unable to continue running. The problem may be the result of low system resources such as memory or disk space. Try closing down other applications, increasing the amount of file space on the disk drive that contains Windows, or adding more memory. Then restart your computer and this application."

S&T disappears from the screen. In Windows Task Manager, it does not show as a running application, but Streets.exe shows in Processes, and has to be killed there.

This doesn't happen if I search for a Place (e.g., Chicago, IL), but only when searching for an Address.

The system is a Dell Inspiron 2200 Laptop, 1.50 Ghz, 1 GB RAM, Windows XP Home SP3, 40GB Hard Drive. C partition is 20GB: 16.2 used, 3.98 free.. Virtual Memory for C is set to "System managed size." S&T 2010 is installed on a D partition. No problems with searching S&T 2010 on a desktop computer.

I still have S&T 2008 installed. It does not have a problem with searches. I'd like to uninstall it to free up space, but don't want to do that if I can't count on S&T 2010 to find addresses.

Not sure what to try next.

David
Roy Smith
2009-10-15 05:03:16 UTC
Post by d381e
[...]
Is this a demo or a purchased copy? If it's one that you've purchased, I'd
contact Microsoft.....
--
Roy Smith
Windows XP Pro SP3
d381e
2009-10-15 14:08:59 UTC
Post by Roy Smith
Post by d381e
[...]
I've found a solution that's working at the moment, and it has to do with my default map and I'll explain in case it'll help others.

I have the retail box with DVD.

I did try to contact Microsoft, but with no success. I started at this page:
http://support.microsoft.com/ph/1058#tab0

I got the page "To determine if no-charge support is available, provide the product identification number".
When I entered the Product ID, copied from the S&T Help screen, I got an error:
There was a problem with the product ID. Please re-enter the product ID in the correct format as shown. You may also obtain support by paying with a credit card.

If anyone else wants to try this, let us know what happens. I don't know what it finds wrong with the Product ID.

I searched and found this article:
Article ID: 318251 - Last Review: April 11, 2008 - Revision: 15.2
You receive an error message when you try to use the Find feature or when you try to import data in Autoroute, in MapPoint, or in Streets & Trips
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318251

I chose Method 2: Test whether the file is corrupted.

Since my Default map is a map I created of my address, I put the original S&T Default map back in place and was able to do a search without the error.

I originally created my home address map as I had in S&T 2008, by searching for my address, creating a new pushpin for my address with only a single line description, omitting the full address assigned by the found address. I used "Cut" to eliminate the found address.

I repeated this process to make a new test map, and it gave the same Find error, even though based on the Default map.

I began to suspect the pushpin "Cut" action was creating the problem, so I recreated my home map again, this time, pressing the delete key to remove the Found address, not "cut".

This map was successful. I put it in place as the Default, and all is working so far. It looks to me that the "Cut" to remove the pushpin was the problem. The Undo data may have been stored with the map. The desktop computer, with more RAM, could probably deal with that, and the laptop couldn't.

It would be nice if the developers could add a right-click option for pushpins for Delete. I've used Cut in the past, since it was the only right-click option, and I'll try to remember not to do that in the future.

David
gpalm
2009-12-27 17:03:01 UTC
I am having the same problem with a downloaded 2010 version. I have done
nothing with my default maps. Has anyone solved this problem? I have paid
for a program I can't really use and can't find a way to get MS Support to
help....
.
d381e