is ST 2010 backward compatable?
tstew
2009-11-07 00:50:01 UTC
Hello,

I just created a map this morning on my desktop with ST2010 and copied it to
my laptop. Laptop is running 2009. I couldn't open the file on the laptop.
Could that be correct that 2010 est files don't open in the 2009 version?
YIKES! BTW, most machines running XP Pro latest SP (3 I think).

Thanks,
Mark
Rob Brown
2009-11-07 01:33:05 UTC
Post by tstew
Could that be correct that 2010 est files don't open in the 2009 version?
So far as I know, *every* new version of S&T has created est files
that no earlier version can open.
Post by tstew
YIKES!
Yup.

--

Rob Brown b r o w n a t g m c l d o t c o m
G. Michaels Consulting Ltd. (780)438-9343 (voice)
http://gmcl.com/
pyotr filipivich
2009-11-07 06:40:10 UTC
Let the Record show that tstew <***@discussions.microsoft.com> on or
about Fri, 6 Nov 2009 16:50:01 -0800 did write/type or cause to appear
Post by tstew
Hello,
I just created a map this morning on my desktop with ST2010 and copied it to
my laptop. Laptop is running 2009. I couldn't open the file on the laptop.
Could that be correct that 2010 est files don't open in the 2009 version?
YIKES! BTW, most machines running XP Pro latest SP (3 I think).
Microsoft makes sure that older files can be read, but it never
seems to create files which can be read by older versions. Streets
& Trips just continues this.

pyotr
-
pyotr filipivich.
Just about the time you finally see light at the end of the tunnel,
you find out it's a Government Project to build more tunnel.
d381e
2009-11-07 15:42:34 UTC
Post by tstew
Hello,
I just created a map this morning on my desktop with ST2010 and copied it to
my laptop. Laptop is running 2009. I couldn't open the file on the laptop.
Could that be correct that 2010 est files don't open in the 2009 version?
YIKES! BTW, most machines running XP Pro latest SP (3 I think).
Microsoft makes sure that older files can be read, but it never
seems to create files which can be read by older versions. Streets
& Trips just continues this.
pyotr
-
pyotr filipivich.
Just about the time you finally see light at the end of the tunnel,
you find out it's a Government Project to build more tunnel.
One good thing, though, is that the 2010 license permits loading S&T on the laptop as well as the desktop, as did previous licenses. I'm running S&T 2008 and 2010 until I've migrated all my maps to 2010.

David
Roy Smith
2009-11-07 18:40:36 UTC
Post by tstew
Hello,
I just created a map this morning on my desktop with ST2010 and copied it to
my laptop. Laptop is running 2009. I couldn't open the file on the laptop.
Could that be correct that 2010 est files don't open in the 2009 version?
YIKES! BTW, most machines running XP Pro latest SP (3 I think).
To the best of my knowledge, every version of S&T creates files that are
incompatible with previous versions. It's a real PITA IMHO.
--
Roy Smith
Windows XP Pro SP3
pyotr filipivich
2009-11-07 23:02:23 UTC
Let the Record show that Roy Smith <***@gmail.com> on or about
Sat, 07 Nov 2009 12:40:36 -0600 did write/type or cause to appear in
Post by Roy Smith
Post by tstew
Hello,
I just created a map this morning on my desktop with ST2010 and copied it to
my laptop. Laptop is running 2009. I couldn't open the file on the laptop.
Could that be correct that 2010 est files don't open in the 2009 version?
YIKES! BTW, most machines running XP Pro latest SP (3 I think).
To the best of my knowledge, every version of S&T creates files that are
incompatible with previous versions. It's a real PITA IMHO.
But a marketing feature.

pyotr

-
Sven
2009-11-08 04:18:53 UTC
Maybe it is just the reality that you can't make a program that creates
files you haven't invented yet, and if you always provide forward
compatibility you can never add anything new to the files structure. The
program is only $25 -$30 and always provides backwards compatibility. Don't
see the issue with just opening the files in the new version and saving them
for use with the new version, as well as saving an original copy for use
with the older versions that are likely on systems with the older software.
Roy Smith
2009-11-10 05:56:25 UTC
Post by Roy Smith
Post by tstew
Hello,
I just created a map this morning on my desktop with ST2010 and copied it to
my laptop. Laptop is running 2009. I couldn't open the file on the laptop.
Could that be correct that 2010 est files don't open in the 2009 version?
YIKES! BTW, most machines running XP Pro latest SP (3 I think).
To the best of my knowledge, every version of S&T creates files that are
incompatible with previous versions. It's a real PITA IMHO.
But a marketing feature.
pyotr
-
pyotr filipivich.
Just about the time you finally see light at the end of the tunnel,
you find out it's a Government Project to build more tunnel.
I get all of that, but what's wrong with adding a feature where you can
save a file in a older format? I already know the answer to that, so
I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for it either... :-)
--
Roy Smith
Windows XP Pro SP3
pyotr filipivich
2009-11-11 21:21:41 UTC
Let the Record show that "Sven" <***@hotmail.com> on or about
Post by Roy Smith
Post by tstew
[...]
I think what "we" would like is an ability to export a generic map
and routing info, which would be a bare bones basic. Or at least
someway to export pushpins into a CSV file readable by any text
editor.
But I also recognize, that there is probably not a basic default
map program standard format, which would allow for a "generic map"
export import option. Cie l'vie.

pyotr
-
pyotr filipivich
Typos, Grammos and da kind are the result Emmanations of Penumbra
Fortesque Consulting: Teaching Pigs to Sing since 1986.
Dee Earley
2009-11-12 11:21:22 UTC
Post by pyotr filipivich
I think what "we" would like is an ability to export a generic map
and routing info, which would be a bare bones basic. Or at least
someway to export pushpins into a CSV file readable by any text
editor.
But I also recognize, that there is probably not a basic default
map program standard format, which would allow for a "generic map"
export import option. Cie l'vie.
There is, called gpx.
--
Dee Earley (***@icode.co.uk)
i-Catcher Development Team

iCode Systems
Marvin Hlavac
2009-11-12 13:56:22 UTC
Post by Dee Earley
Post by pyotr filipivich
I think what "we" would like is an ability to export a generic map
and routing info, which would be a bare bones basic. Or at least
someway to export pushpins into a CSV file readable by any text
editor.
But I also recognize, that there is probably not a basic default
map program standard format, which would allow for a "generic map"
export import option. Cie l'vie.
There is, called gpx.
Yes, I suspect in future years we will hear fewer user discussions about
backward-compatibility. The new Import/Export GPX feature should help in
this area.

Review: Microsoft Streets & Trips 2010
http://www.laptopgpsworld.com/microsoft-streets-trips/2380-review-microsoft-streets-trips.html
--
Marvin Hlavac
Laptop GPS World
www.laptopgpsworld.com
pyotr filipivich
2009-11-13 03:01:56 UTC
Let the Record show that Dee Earley <***@icode.co.uk> on or
about Thu, 12 Nov 2009 11:21:22 +0000 did write/type or cause to
Post by Dee Earley
Post by pyotr filipivich
I think what "we" would like is an ability to export a generic map
and routing info, which would be a bare bones basic. Or at least
someway to export pushpins into a CSV file readable by any text
editor.
But I also recognize, that there is probably not a basic default
map program standard format, which would allow for a "generic map"
export import option. Cie l'vie.
There is, called gpx.
Oh, this is news to me. I'm not being sarcastic, I didn't know.
Cool.

Now all I need is a reason to upgrade ... aside from the new
construction since the last version... ("Hey, why can't this map find
the new shopping center? Its not on the map!" 'Ah, sir, the map is
circa 2004, three years before it was built.' "Well, that's no
excuse. Next you'll be telling me there are more than 48 states in
the Union.")

tschus
pyotr

-