IMPORTING DATA
RichardLeAZ
2010-04-16 16:59:01 UTC
I HAVE AN EXCEL DATABASE THAT I WOULD LIKE TO IMPORT INTO A MAPPING PROGRAM.
CAN I DO THIS IS STREETS, AND TRIPS AND IF NOT, DOES ANYONE KNOW A MAPPING
PROGRAM THAT CAN DO THIS?
Richard Marsden
2010-04-16 19:41:50 UTC
Post by RichardLeAZ
I HAVE AN EXCEL DATABASE THAT I WOULD LIKE TO IMPORT INTO A MAPPING PROGRAM.
CAN I DO THIS IS STREETS, AND TRIPS AND IF NOT, DOES ANYONE KNOW A MAPPING
PROGRAM THAT CAN DO THIS?
How long is a piece of string? :-)

There are dozens of different ways of plotting map data.
Streets and Trips should be able to plot data as pushpin points.

Microsoft MapPoint is in the same family but has more support for
businesses type applications (eg. plotting data), demographics,
customization, etc.
For your question, this means you have a lot more plotting options - eg.
different sized circles (perhaps sales?) or pie charts, or shaded areas.

There's a free trial of MapPoint on the Microsoft website which you
could try.
I think there's probably a free trial of Streets & Trips as well - have
a look, but I think Marvin could probably confirm.
--
Richard Marsden
Winwaed Software Technology LLC
The Geoweb Guru: http://www.geowebguru.com
d381e
2010-04-17 16:48:42 UTC
Post by Richard Marsden
Post by RichardLeAZ
[...]
RichardLeAZ didn't mention what was in his database, but the text below is copied from the Help file in S&T 2010.
David

Supported data sources
Streets & Trips supports several data sources that you can use for importing data. You can import addresses from any of the following sources:

Global Positioning System (GPS) navigation device files (.gpx format)

Microsoft Office Access (.accdb and .mdb formats)

Microsoft Office Excel (.xls and .xlsx formats)

Microsoft Office Outlook Contacts

Another database, by using a Microsoft Data Link

Plain-text files (*.txt, *.csv, *.asc, or *.tab format) for programs not supported by Streets & Trips
Richard Marsden
2010-04-19 14:20:12 UTC
Post by d381e
RichardLeAZ didn't mention what was in his database, but the text below is copied from the Help file in S&T 2010.
David
Supported data sources
Global Positioning System (GPS) navigation device files (.gpx format)
Microsoft Office Access (.accdb and .mdb formats)
Microsoft Office Excel (.xls and .xlsx formats)
Microsoft Office Outlook Contacts
Another database, by using a Microsoft Data Link
Plain-text files (*.txt, *.csv, *.asc, or *.tab format) for programs not supported by Streets & Trips
So the same input files and databases as MapPoint (which makes sense
they use the code base).
So Streets & Trips will probably do what he needs if he only wants to
plot pushpin points.