Can't open Streets 2009 .est files using 2007/2008
Veronica
2009-09-25 16:32:01 UTC
Our company has Streets 2007, 2008 and 2009. We have files on a SharePoint
site that were created using 2009. Some of the users who have older versions
of Streets cannot open these .est files. I can't find any information on
this issue. I am not a Streets user - just trying to help troublehshoot the
issue. If you have any information on this I sure would appreciate the help.
Thanks.
Rob Brown
2009-09-25 17:38:42 UTC
Post by Veronica
Our company has Streets 2007, 2008 and 2009. We have files on a
SharePoint site that were created using 2009. Some of the users who
have older versions of Streets cannot open these .est files.
One of the "features" of Streets and Trips is that every new version
updates the file format. Every new version can read, but not write,
the old format. No version can read a format of a newer version. Any
time a new version reads an old file, it converts to the new format,
making the file no longer accessible to the old versions.

If you need to continue to support the older versions, I think your
only choice is to maintain multiple versions of your data files. :-(
--
Rob Brown b r o w n a t g m c l d o t c o m
G. Michaels Consulting Ltd. (780)438-9343 (voice)
http://gmcl.com/
Veronica
http://gmcl.com/
Roy Smith
2009-09-28 18:50:00 UTC
Post by Rob Brown
Post by Veronica
Our company has Streets 2007, 2008 and 2009. We have files on a
SharePoint site that were created using 2009. Some of the users who have
older versions of Streets cannot open these .est files.
One of the "features" of Streets and Trips is that every new version
updates the file format. Every new version can read, but not write, the
old format. No version can read a format of a newer version. Any time a
new version reads an old file, it converts to the new format, making the
file no longer accessible to the old versions.
If you need to continue to support the older versions, I think your only
choice is to maintain multiple versions of your data files. :-(
No they really don't have to maintain multiple versions, just maintain it
using the oldest version of S&T that's in use. Any changes that need to be
made to the files are also done using the oldest version of S&T in use.
Just don't allow the users to save over the shared copy that everyone
downloads.
--
Roy Smith
Windows XP Pro SP3
unknown
2009-12-16 13:56:18 UTC
Is there any way to convert 2009 maps so that older versions can read them.

Rob Brown wrote:

One of the "features" of Streets and Trips is that every new versionupdates
25-Sep-09

-

Rob Brown b r o w n a t g m c l d o t c o
G. Michaels Consulting Ltd. (780)438-9343 (voice
Edmonton (780)437-3367 (FAX
http://gmcl.com/

On Friday, September 25, 2009 12:32 PM
Veronica wrote:

Can't open Streets 2009 .est files using 2007/2008
Our company has Streets 2007, 2008 and 2009. We have files on a SharePoin
site that were created using 2009. Some of the users who have older version
of Streets cannot open these .est files. I cannot find any information o
this issue. I am not a Streets user - just trying to help troublehshoot th
issue. If you have any information on this I sure would appreciate the help
Thanks.

On Friday, September 25, 2009 1:38 PM
Rob Brown wrote:

One of the "features" of Streets and Trips is that every new versionupdates
One of the "features" of Streets and Trips is that every new versio
updates the file format. Every new version can read, but not write
the old format. No version can read a format of a newer version. An
time a new version reads an old file, it converts to the new format
making the file no longer accessible to the old versions

If you need to continue to support the older versions, I think you
only choice is to maintain multiple versions of your data files. :-

-

Rob Brown b r o w n a t g m c l d o t c o
G. Michaels Consulting Ltd. (780)438-9343 (voice
Edmonton (780)437-3367 (FAX
http://gmcl.com/

On Friday, September 25, 2009 2:02 PM
Veronica wrote:

Thank you for that clear and helpful infomation Rob.
Thank you for that clear and helpful infomation Rob. That's exactly what
was looking for

"Rob Brown" wrote:

On Monday, September 28, 2009 2:50 PM
Roy Smith wrote:

No they really do not have to maintain multiple versions, just maintain
No they really do not have to maintain multiple versions, just maintain i
using the oldest version of S&T that is in use. Any changes that need to b
made to the files are also done using the oldest version of S&T in use
Just do not allow the users to save over the shared copy that everyon
downloads

-
Roy Smit
Windows XP Pro SP3

CIL Programming: Under the Hood of .NET [aPress]
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/7f1cde76-0f2a-4036-a0ed-5e3ebbf39e7f/cil-programming-under-th.aspx
Dee Earley
2009-12-17 09:16:12 UTC
Post by unknown
Is there any way to convert 2009 maps so that older versions can read them.
No.
--
Dee Earley (***@icode.co.uk)
i-Catcher Development Team