Keep position centered
rhbelter
2010-04-19 09:23:01 UTC
I would like to be able to relocate - or depress - lower -- the keep
position centered feature. Generally there is little interest in that which
is behind you. It would afford more space ahead for a better view.

Anyone else agree???

Thanks /s/ Bob
Rob Brown
2010-04-19 18:27:47 UTC
I would like to be able to relocate - or depress - lower -- the keep
position centered feature. Generally there is little interest in
that which is behind you. It would afford more space ahead for a
better view.
That is exactly the reason why I never use "keep position centered".
I don't recall the name of the setting I prefer, but it shows the
current position and the location of the next instruction. As I get
closer to the place where I have to do something, the view zooms in
for more detail.

I won't vote about "keep position centered" because I like the "don't
keep position centered" setting that I use now.

My two cents.
--
Rob Brown b r o w n a t g m c l d o t c o m
G. Michaels Consulting Ltd. (780)438-9343 (voice)
http://gmcl.com/
gpsman
2010-04-23 04:00:10 UTC
I would like to be able to relocate - or depress - lower --  the keep
position centered feature.  Generally there is little interest in that which
is behind you.   It would afford more space ahead for a better view.
Anyone else agree???
I did, vehemently, until I concluded I was zoomed in a tad too far.

Realistically, I think S&T has reached the end of its technological
lifespan for improvement. I bought 2001 for $7 and have never paid
more than 20 for versions up to and including my last, 2006.

Pocket Streets wasn't very popular, and S&T is just a stripped version
of MapPoint so I don't see any benefit to MS to make improvements.
-----

- gpsman
Marvin Hlavac
2010-04-23 18:49:42 UTC
S&T is just a stripped version of MapPoint so I
don't see any benefit to MS to make improvements.
Yet, they still do:
http://www.laptopgpsworld.com/microsoft-streets-trips/2380-review-microsoft-streets-trips.html

:-)
gpsman
2010-04-25 17:21:16 UTC
S&T is just a stripped version of MapPoint so I
don't see any benefit to MS to make improvements.
Yet, they still do:http://www.laptopgpsworld.com/microsoft-streets-trips/2380-review-mic...
:-)
We have a diversion of tenses; they "have" in the past, but I think
you and I would also diverge on our definitions of what constitutes
"improvement".

It is my perspective that versions subsequent to 2001 are little
improved functionally, and in some cases changes have been instituted
that defy all logic; the ability to set average speeds for road types
from mph in 1 mph increments to a vague and indeterminable
relationship with "average" speeds.

IMO, functional improvements since v2001 (to v2006) are:
1. GPSr update rate.
2. Night mode.
3. Something I'm probably forgetting.
-----